Saturday, October 10, 2015

Boaty's Post #4 : Social Classes and the Family

For my classes this week I was asked to ponder the role and impact of social classes and also the importance of the family.

First of let me just say, social classes do exist here in America! I think many try to deny or forget that there are people here that are enslaved to poverty in the "land of freedom." I think too many people say, 'If they would just believe in themselves and work hard they can rise above their situation.' To you I say yes, some people can rise above their circumstances. But most people cannot! They work hard all their lives and limitations in education and opportunities tie them to their situation.

On the other end there are many who have a clique or social group that they identify with and call family. They live thinking that this 'family' is the most important thing to them. Let me be the first to say "it is not and should not be their focus." Being able to identify with another outside your family should not persuade you to abandon them. Let me just clarify that this can happen. Teenagers do it all the time when they rebel against their parents to join their friends.

Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said, "nothing can take place of the home or family." I believe this with all my heart. God created the family to love and fulfill each other. It is our duty to never forsake the ideal family and those who love us most even when it is seen as outdated or unpopular.

No comments:

Post a Comment